Sunday 27 September 2009

FAQ #2: Are you poor?

No! I'm guessing that people think this because: A) My equipment is cracked/broken/disintegrating before my very eyes, and B) It looks like i play drums locked in a cupboard.

In response to the first point, i agree that my equipment is falling apart. When i started playing i bought some of the best stuff out there. This included top of the range cymbals/heads/pedals (i've spent £400 on bass drum pedals over the years - yes, pedals for Christ's sake! I could have bought a car for that.)

Now it's all breaking, and i can't be bothered to replace it all. I'm a hard hitter, so i have to expect that it will all eventually get ruined. It's like watching a member of your family slowly die from a degenerative brain disease: they don't act/sound the way you remember them...yet you can't let go and buy new cymbals (Ok, the analogy fell apart at the end there).

No, i don't play in a cupboard. I actually play in a small, soundproofed (though the neighbours tend to disagree with this) shed down the bottom of the garden. It's a good place to be, as it is far enough away from people as to not be very annoying, and it means i can play really loud.

The only problem with this shed is that it's very compact, and it contains a lot of spiders. But hey, that's life!

6 comments:

  1. What kind of cymabls and cymbal stands do you have? Your stands look heavy duty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need alot more room and deserve ALOT better equitment for your talent!

    P.S Where do you live?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Oxford, England. My kit is at my parents house (up north). I moved out and i can't take my kit (i'm in a house-share).

    And yes, my throne is immense. The guy in shop said it was 'what all the drummers use these days'! Seriously though, it's a good alternative finding stuff to use instead of buying expensive equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well thats a really good kit man! my uncle have a tama rock starr to and he haves years with it almost same cymbals like yours but he is not a hard hiter so they are well conserved jaja i like your chair to play drums is verry fancy ^^^^! good videos man! i have like a year watching them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you like my vids! Yeah, Tama kits are very durable.

    ReplyDelete