Tuesday 15 September 2009

FAQ #1: Why does your snare sound like s**t?

I'm going to answer some faqs on this blog, as i repeatedly get asked the same kind of questions. This one is easily the one i get asked the most.

To be honest, it probably sounds rubbish because i'm lazy; too lazy to tune it correctly, too lazy to buy new heads for it. Recently i decided to put some masking tape on it to get rid of the ringing noise it makes, but i don't know if this has made much of a difference.

Anyway, i can't see myself buying new equipment anytime soon, as i like to get the most out of what i've got. This means viewers of my covers will have to put up with it for the foreseeable future. Sorry!

Do any of you have any good snare drum head reccommendations?

2 comments:

  1. I got pretty nice orange county percussion snare for a hundred dollars from musiciansfriend.com, they were doing a sale at the time, it's good to get their newsletter things, if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would use a coated snare head (preferable a Remo Weather King) and a clear, single ply head for the resonant side (Remo Ambassador). That's what I used on my Ludwig snare for the longest time and it hasn't failed me yet.

    ReplyDelete