Sunday 1 November 2009

General (Hospital) Update

Whoa...i didn't realise it had been so long since i last posted! This is just a general update to tell you what i've been doing recently.

I had some minor surgery a couple of weeks ago. All i've been able to do is sit in bed watching daytime tv in a drug-filled haze. Needless to say, this has put me out of action on the drums and will keep me away from the kit for a couple more weeks. This is probably for the best, as i think the spiders in there have mated and created a scene reminiscent of the end of that 'Arachnophobia' film with Jeff Daniels.

I've picked up a fair few subscribers recently (what i like to call the 'Blink-182 drum cover effect'. Maybe i'll do some more of their songs in a cynical ploy to bring in more traffic.) I'd just like to thank everyone who leaves comments on my playing, and for those who sub in general.

I might post an old MCR cover that i just found on my computer. It's with the old snare though, so i'll prepare myself for the inevitable 'turn your fuking snare on duuuuude!' comments.

Right, i'm off to continue my massive weight-gain (through lack of activity...and eating copious amounts of shit).

7 comments:

  1. Im lovin your cover of Ghost Of You. Its an Awesome cover bro. I have a question.  How do you go about making your covers? Do u just listen to the song a few times and try to do your best at getting the drum parts right, or do you like use drum tabs or something? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Flaner! I wish you recover as fast as it possible and come back to your favourite hobby- playing drums. Hundreds of people wish you be healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New suggestions: 1)Nirvana - Aneurysm(such an energetic song, I think you play like Dave Grohl);
    2)Fall of Troy - F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X.(there are a lot of covers in youtube on that song in bad and normal performance);
    3)Silverstein - Your Sword vs. My Dagger(there are also a lot of covers, but unfortunately they are wrong.It would be interesting if you could make the right one)
    By the way, all these 3 songs are popular, they are hits. About the last one - I found in Youtube the live performance of the song, the camera was pointed to the drummer Paul Koeler.All you need to do is to write in the search - Paul Koeler live. Hope for request.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've recently seen your Tour pt.1 and you showed some drum books. I wonder what those books were(if it's not a secret). So, Fil, could you tell what kind of exercises you do for your drumming, especially for feet and how you've learnt fast doubles with one pedal. May be the reason is the pedal itself or something else. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. whow............whats happening here, i was utterly shocked/ disgusted to think id been ballbagged on facebook! then i discovered youve dissolved it! listen, i know i conquer you at a few sports (namely chess, badminton and darts) but there's no need to leave facebook to save face! anyway, how the hell are you? what you been u to? drop us an email @ esquire_19@hotmail.com

    ............and remember

    "an ambition is a dream yet to be realised!"

    ......pah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @xxkmanxx - First off i just play along to the track without really knowing what it is doing, to try and get the basic feel of the main beats. Then i listen to the song a few more times. Finally, if i'm having trouble with specific fills i keep rewinding them and take my time learning them (or just play the wrong thing). I used to use tabs when i started playing, but over time your ear starts to pick up more things.

    @sasha_hendrix - Thanks for the good wishes! I will look into those covers for you. I can't promise anything (if i don't like the songs, i probably won't have the motivation to do them. But i'll check them out and see if i do!).
    The books are 'Art of The Drummer', 'Stick Control', 'Advanced Funk Studies'. Those are the ones i reccommend. Keep watching!

    @'Anonymous' - Rice, i'll send you an email.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Fil. 1)Haven't you thought to make a video of your foot technique? It would be rather interesting to watch. I'm asking because mine is wick and I'm looking for answers. I searched probably all YouTube, downloaded a lot of videos, drum schools, and so on, but didn't find solutions.

    ReplyDelete